Monday, July 25, 2005

War Of The Worlds

Now I am not a professional critic by any stretch of the imagination but I know good filmmaking when I see it, just as I know bad filmmaking when I see it.

Ever since "Jurassic Park" came out, I have felt that Spielberg is no longer capable of making an Indian Jones kinda movie. You know the kind of movie I'm talking about. Something purely fun and exciting, a feel good summer movie. I think Spielberg has grown up and so cannot take himself back to making that kind of film.

This is not a knock. It is a compliment. Too many directors get stuck once they reach their peak and then essentially end up visiting past glories all the time. This is not true of Spielberg. He has continued, and continues, to grow and develop as a filmmaker.

WOTW is another example of that. This is not a feel good movie. It is a good movie. It is smart, apart from a little quibble with the end, and daring. It is not your typical us defeating the aliens movie. It is well made, smartly written and directed, and very well acted. Cruise is amazing in it but then so is everyone else.

The only problem people, other than insane ones like Roger Friedman, may have with it is that it has no levity. There are no "breaks" from the suspense and fear. I think that's a good thing. When the world is being destroyed, making smart ass comments does not feel right.

Anyway, its a good movie. You should check it out.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home